We need to check language support. At the minimum we lack Korean support. Perhaps it would be best if we just added all the language-specific input methods. Or maybe, alternately, add everything that's not GTK. One user suggested these options:
- Korean: fcitx-hangul
- Chinese: fcitx-pinyin
- Japanese: fcitx-mozc
- Vietnamese: fcitx-unikey
- Thai: fcitx-thai (not in the repos)
- Telugu: fcitx-telugu (not in the repos)
Of course, there are many questions to answer, which is why I've targeted this for the Global Team rather than the Development Team.
- The list is obviously incomplete. What do we need to have full support of all input methods that fcitx supports?
- Should we really add all of these methods? It seems like it would have the likelihood of adding a lot of extra cruft.
- Assuming that we don't want to add all of the options, how do we determine which ones to add? Are locales, keyboard layouts, and/or languages enough to decide this or do we need to directly ask the user?
- Don't some users use more than one input method? How do we deal with them?
My hopes is that the Global Team can talk to non-native English speakers and try to understand their experiences, needs, and what sort of situation they would like to see.