- Wallpaper (another wallpaper contest?)
- New SDDM looks
Turns out that there's a way to do this with our SDDM settings.
I think we might be able to add it to /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu/theme.conf (Lenny would go in /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu/ anyway). If not, we need to ship a config file as shown there.
I would JFDI but we have some new packagers around, so I'll let a newbie take it. :)
As for SDDM looks, that dates back to Raf days. I did make a change just now which makes the SDDM background the default wallpaper, something I forgot to do manually for this cycle: rART5c0b9859f384: Replace wall.png with a symbolic link to the default wallpaper.
As for improving the theme itself, well, as we all know, I'm very artistically gifted (not), so someone else should take a look at this and give it a proper refresh. All you'd need to do is customize the contents of /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu and test with sddm-greeter --test-mode --theme /path/to/theme. I'd consider that to be an intermediate-level task; the person should have some basic familiarity with programming to be able to do it, especially given that it needs some handwritten QML. We'd probably need a design person and a developer working together on that.
I'll do whatever I did last time, as I recall that was
- I created draft-announcement based on Will Cooke's; @kc2bez checked/refined it; we'll use last years this time; we can look for diffs with Ubuntu's for necessary changes if we don't start before them
- Dan posted in discourse; I could do that too once approved; someone would have to say when! ie. comp start & end date I'd not want to set; we've had discussion on end-date already I think; earlier I think this cycle?
- I'll monitor the discourse post & add *view-able* pics (usually shrunk) so people don't have to go elsewhere to view (ie. for those that post links etc)
- I created a gdoc [sheet]; with fields 'owner,title,c-vote,c-thoughts' ; Dan added 'd-vote,d-thoughts' & 'tally'
everything after that Dan did (ie. setup official member voting onwards)
kc2bez: "It could probably use a little jazzing up but the basics are there."
My 2c is keep it factual & basic. It looks professional to me.
My only thought in reading (as expressed in #lubuntu-devel) was
I wonder if in "Watermarking" we should have an exception allowing for 20.04's [focal] fossa (logo/name), our Lubuntu logo... or [just] limit watermark/name/logo rule to non-Lubuntu.
the legal pitfall (esp. with focal.fossa) is entries using images/logos/pictures [of fossa] folks have grabbed from web that are owned/copyrighted... I doubt that's a risk with our Lubuntu logo, so we could limit it just to Lubuntu logo/name allowed.
With loads of recent youtube vids on 19.10 due to BDDL focus, our [Lubuntu] name on the default wallpaper was rather prominently displayed despite this rule in our 19.10 contest.