Purpose of this document
As a supplement to the Packaging Tutorial, this is a great solution if you'd like people to test a change before you get it uploaded.
- gpg setup from packaging requirements.
- Add your key to Launchpad
- Create your PPA
- Start in the folder containing your debian folder of whatever package you're working on
- Get the source:
- uscan --download-current-version
- tar -x --strip-components=1 -f ../PACKAGE_*.orig.tar.xz
- dch -i a new changelog entry and make sure the version number ends with ppa# where # is some number. This will make the package essentially a higher version than those in the repos.
- Build the source: debuild -S
- Upload it to Launchpad: dput ppa:your-launchpad-id/your-ppa-name ../PACKAGE_*source.changes
You should immediately get an accepted message by email. Then it starts building. This can take a while. Be patient…